October 4-11, 2014 Keep Space for Peace Week International Week of Protest to
Stop the Militarization of Space
Stop Drones Surveillance & Killing
No Missile Defense
No to NATO
End Corporate Domination of Foreign/Military Policy
Convert the Military Industrial Complex
Deal with climate change and global poverty
List in formation
- Aberporth, West Wales (Sept 21) CND Cymru has a demonstration at the drones testing centre totally in the spirit of Keep Space for Peace Week.
- Andover, Massachusetts (Oct 9) Vigil in front of Raytheon, 350 Lowell St (Rte 133) 7:00-8:00 am. Merrimack Valley People for Peace
- Asheville, North Carolina (Oct 9) Western N. C. Physicians for Social Responsibility will present the film PAX AMERICANA and the Weaponization of Space in commemoration of Keep Space for Peace Week. This will be at West Asheville Library, 942 Haywood Road, at 6:30 PM. This film deals with the issue of space weapons and their politics, including interviews with several key US military personnel and other prominent persons. It is vital that we citizens be alerted to dangers facing our survival and action needed in light of a growing arms race speeding the proliferation of these weapons. For more: Lew Patrie, MD. 828-299-1242
- Bath Iron Works, Maine (Oct 4) Vigil across from administration building on Washington Street (Navy Aegis destroyers outfitted with “missile defense” systems built at BIW) 11:30-12:30 am Smilin’ Trees Disarmament Farm (207) 763-4062
- Beale AFB, Marysville, California (Sept 29-30) Monday 3:00 pm No drones protest. On Tuesday 6:00-8:00 am Protest resumes, with non-violent direct action. For information: http://www.occupybealeafb.org/
- Berlin, Germany (Oct 4) Fly Kites, Not Drones! Gather in front of the German Parliament at 11:00 am and fly kites to make clear that we do not want to be threatened by drones and we do not want people anywhere to be threatened by drones. Then at 15:00, we will meet in parks throughout the city and fly kites to continue our protest.
- Berlin, Germany (Oct 3-5) Anti-War Conference Berlin at Haus der Demokratie und Menschenrechte. An initiative of scientists and journalists against militarization in Germany and in the member states of European Union and NATO. The conference will focus on new dimensions in the preparation and conduct of war through the use of information technology, media propaganda and recently developed weapons such as drones. http://antikriegskonferenz.de/
- Birmingham, England (Oct 6) – Queens College 7:30 pm No drones vigil in Queens Chapel
- Colorado Springs, Peterson AFB, Colorado (Oct 7) Citizens for Peace in Space will be joined by Sisters Ardeth Platte and Carol Gilbert for vigil at (north gate) of Air Force Space Command base from 4:30 – 5:30 pm. They were part of the group of sisters who did an action at the Peterson open house in 2001. If you need a ride let us know.
- RAF Croughton, England (Oct 4) Rally at U.S. satellite communication base, March to main gate 1 mile – starts Croughton village 12.00 midday, Returns 3:00 pm, Oxfordshire Peace Campaign,
- Fort Meade, Maryland (Oct 4) The Pledge of Resistance-Baltimore will go to the National Security Agency to protest illegal surveillance and its involvement in drone strikes at 10:30 AM. Contact Max Obuszewski at 410-366-1637 or mobuszewski at Verizon dot net.
- RAF Fylingdales, England (Oct 11) Walk around the US and NATO missile ‘defence’ radar on the North Yorkshire moors. Meeting at Eller Beck at 1pm – see www.yorkshirecnd.org.uk and check with or phone 01274730795 for details in case of inclement weather.
- Gangjeong village, Jeju Island, South Korea (Oct. 4-11) Will have some education and protest events which will be connected to daily protest mass, human chain and evening culture event during Keep Space for Peace Week. Sept. 21, The International Peace Day, Oct. 4, the International No Drone day, and Oct. 7, the Remembrance Day on the invasion of Afghanistan will also be observed, The South Korean government plans to introduce Global Hawk and THAAD whose range will cover parts of China and Russia. Otherwise, this April, the so called Asia-biggest Aerospace museum was opened on Jeju Island. More details will come later. Please contact
- Indore, India (Oct 9) Protest meeting “Space for Peace and Not for War” at Indore in the State of Madhya Pradesh by Centre for Peace, Disarmament and Development Studies. Dr.Tapan Bhattacharya will be the Organiser.
- Kennebunk, Maine (Oct 3-5) The 29th Annual New England Gathering of War Tax Resisters will feature a field trip to the vigil at Bath Iron Works on Oct 4, a reading of “Project Unspeakable”, and a talk on “How Expensive Space Technology is Used to Coordinate Warfare On the Planet.”
- King of Prussia, Pennsylvania (Oct 11) Noon – 3pm, large MQ-9 Reaper Drone Replica Display and kite flying in front of Lockheed Martin (L-M) at intersection of Mall & Goddard Boulevards. L-M is making a killing in drone war and surveillance technology, building the remote-controlled unmanned planes and satellites that direct the drones and launch their deadly Hellfire missiles which L-M also builds. For more info Brandywine Peace Community, (610) 544-1818 or www.brandywinepeace.com
- Kiruna, Lapland, Sweden (Oct 4 & 6 International Children´s Day) Standing demo in central town and at COOP market. Banners and handing out leaflets against ‘nEUROn’ drone, which will be tested at NEAT (North European Aerospace Test Range) close to Kiruna in 2015. Women for Peace, Kiruna
- Kyotango City, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan (Oct 4) Mass meeting against the construction of US ‘missile defense’ X- band radar base in Ukawa Gymnasium (former school, near construction site) at 14:00.. Organized by Citizen’s Coalition for No US Base in Kyoto. Contact Atsushi Fujioka
- Leicester, England (Oct 8) Drone Cafe at Green Oasis, London Road, Information about drones 2-6 pm followed by music and poetry 6–7:30 pm. More details from Penny on 07414 465695
- London, England (Oct 11) Conference at Friends House, ‘Afghanistan, the forgotten war and Britain’s legacy’ organised by Voices for Creative Non Violence UK and the Drone Campaign Network. Brilliant speakers and focus groups including Kabul street kids, skyping with Afghan women peace volunteers, the Afghanistam diaspora and much more. 10:00 am – 4.30 pm
- Los Angeles, California (Oct 3) Freeway banner drop against drones during rush hour (5:00 pm). Meet at Albertsons (3443 S. Sepulveda Blvd) parking lot and walk to freeway overpass on Palms Blvd.
- Maine Walk for Peace & a Sustainable Future (Oct 11-20) Peace walk led by Nipponzan Myohoji from Rangeley to North Berwick. The walk will protest the growing militarization of the Maine economy and will call for conversion to sustainable production to help deal with climate change. Sponsored by Maine Veterans For Peace. www.vfpmaine.org
- Menwith Hill, England (Oct 7) Demonstration at NSA/NRO Spy Base in Yorkshire focused on drones in particular and US missile defense in general. 6-8 pm. Sponsored by CAAB or
- Minneapolis, Minnesota (Oct 11) The WAMM Ground All Drones Committee is sponsoring a “Fly Kites Not Drones” action from 1:00-3:00 pm. Meet at the Roberts Bird Sanctuary Shelter located adjacent to the Lyndale Park Peace Garden and just north of Lake Harriet. Kites will be provided to decorate and fly in the nearby Rose Garden along with distributing No Killer Drone stickers and flyers. More info: call WAMM 612.827.5364 or email or
- Nagpur, India (Oct 4) Demonstration “Space for Peace and Not for War” by the students of Matru Sewa Sangh Institute of Social Work. Nagpur, Maharashtra State. Prof. Jyoti Niswade will be the organizer
- Nagpur, India (Oct 5) Mass Squatting (sitting in protest) “Space for Peace and Not for War” by the S.E.C. Rly Pensioners Assn and Progressive Railway Women’s Organisation at Nagpur, State of Maharashtra. (Ms. Seema Sondiya and Mrs. J. Saraswati are the organizers)
- Nagpur, India (Oct 6) “Space for Peace and Not for War” Rally of students of National Institute of Social Work, Nagpur in the State of Maharashtra.
- Nagpur, India (Oct 9) Global Network board member Tamara Lorincz will address the Railway Workers and women folk at the Motibagh Railway Colony in the evening.
- Nagpur, India (Oct 11-12) National Youth Conference on “Peace, Disarmament and Development” is being organized at Nagpur University. Students, Lecturers and Professors and other public figures will attend this conference. ISSUES TO BE DISCUSSED: Causes of wars, Role of Imperialism and NATO in waging wars, Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, Destruction of Hiroshima & Nagasaki by nuclear weapons, Prevention of an Arms Race in Outer Space, Vision for 2020, UN Space Treaty, UN Moon Treaty, Non-Aligned Movement, UN and World Peace, Disarmament & Development, Global Military Expenditure and Human Development, Millennium Development Goals etc.
- Olympia, Washington (Sept 27) Holly Gwinn Graham in concert at Traditions Cafe informing about space week and inviting actions and participation in vigiling during the week
- Parvatipuram, India (Oct 7) Demonstration by the Hindi Teachers Training College, Dr. Manchupalli Sriramulu will be organizer
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Oct 4) Death Walk Against Drones, noon – 1:00 pm at 12th & Market St. in downtown. Wear black, white masks provided. Contact: Marge Van Cleef
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Oct 7) Philadelphia Interfaith Network Against Drone Warfare invites you to a program, “Peacemaking In An Era of Drone Warfare” at Project HOME, 1515 Fairmount Ave at 7:00 pm. The program will feature Medea Benjamin, co-founder of CODEPINK, author of Drone Warfare: Killing by Remote Control, and a showing of the film, Wounds of Waziristan, music, drumming/spoken word, and religious voices for justice and peace such as Shane and Katie Claiborne, Wil O’Brien, and others.
- Poppit Sands, Wales (Oct 4) Drone Network Cymru will be flying kites at Poppit Sands near St Dogmaels – in a symbolic ‘Let’s Go Fly a Kite’ demonstration at 12:00 pm t: +44 (0)1239 85 11 88 07810 566 919
- Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada (Oct 9) The Making Peace Vigil is planning on handing out flyers related to Keep Space for Peace Week in downtown.
- Shenstone, England (Oct 10) Vigil for worship at Elbit Systems drone engine factory, Shenstone near Lichfields at 10:45 – 11:45 (5 minutes walk from train station going away from village)
- Stockholm, Sweden (Oct 4) Standing demo in front of parliament, Mynttorget. 11.00-13.00 Banners and handing out leaflets against ‘nEUROn’ drone which will be launched in 2015 in the north of Sweden at North European Aerospace Test Range. nEUROn is an experimental Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle being developed with international cooperation, led by the French company Dassault Aviation along with Switzerland, Spain, and Greece. Contact: Agneta Norberg
- Stuttgart, Germany (Oct 4) Protest against Drones and AFRICOM at 02:00 pm at AFRICOM Headquarters. More information to come!
- Tucson Arizona (Oct 4) Vigil at Davis-Monthan AFBdrone base at 10:00 a.m. (Craycroft gate at Golf Links Rd.) Contact Felice or Jack Cohen-Joppa at (520)323-8697
- Tucson Arizona (Oct 7) Vigil at Raytheon Missile Systems (making Star Wars “kill vehicles”, pilotless drones, cluster bombs, cruise missiles and much more) from 7 – 8 a.m. (Hermans Rd. entrance to the plant, 3rd traffic light south of Valencia on Nogales Highway, the extension of South 6th Ave.) Contact Felice or Jack Cohen-Joppa at (520) 323-8697
- Vandenberg AFB, CA (Oct 1) Vigil at space warfare base from 3:30 to 4:45. Contact Dennis Apel at (805) 343-6322
- Visakhapatnam, India (Oct 4) A public demonstration in front of the Gandhi Statue. Mr. J. V. Prabhakr, India Global Network Core Committee member, will be the coordinator.
- Volk Field, Wisconsin (Oct 9) Air National Guard Base 90 minutes north of Madison. They train pilots to fly Shadow drones used for surveillance and target acquisition. Vigiling at the gates for 2 1/2 years. Plan to go to a rest area at 10:00 am on Interstate about 10 miles south of Volk Field. There is a lot of traffic there and we will leaflet and talk to people about what is happening at Volk Field.
- Wardha, India (Oct 9) Global Network board member Tamara Lorincz will address two meetings of Medical and Engg Colleges at Wardha. The meeting will be organised by Rotarian Mr. Mahesh Mokalkar.
- Washington DC (Oct 6) Vigil at the Pentagon from 7:00 – 8:00 a.m. Art Laffin
- Washington DC (Oct 10) White House vigil from Noon – 1:00 p.m. Art Laffin
- Weld County, Colorado (Oct 4) Protest vigil at Minuteman III nuclear missile M-8 silo on the 12th Anniversary of Sacred Earth and Space Plowshares II. We join all the other lovers of space, land, water and air people and creatures who know and trust that peace is possible. Sisters Ardeth Platte and Carol Gilbert will be joining us there. They were part of the Plowshares action at that location in October 2002. Carpooling from 420 Mesa Road in Colorado Springs at 8:30 am to join others for a noon vigil. Let us know if you can go and if you might be able to drive.
– Keep Space for Peace Week is co-sponsored by the Women’s International League for Peace & Freedom, KnowDrones.com and the Drone Campaign Network (UK)
– October 4 is also a Global Action Day Against the Use of Drones for Surveillance & Killing and is being sponsored by a host of groups around the world. See more at http://globaldayofaction.nationbuilder.com/
- Download our full-size space week poster at: http://www.space4peace.org/actions/Keep%20Space%20for%20Peacer%20Poster%202014.pdf
- Keep Space for Peace Week is co-sponsored by the Women’s International League for Peace & Freedom, KnowDrones.com and the Drone Campaign Network (UK)
- October 4 is also a Global Action Day Against the Use of Drones for Surveillance & Killing and is being sponsored by a host of groups around the world. See more at http://globaldayofaction.nationbuilder.com/
Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space
PO Box 652
Brunswick, ME 04011