On June 26, 1945, the United Nations Charter was adopted in San Francisco with the principle aim to ‘save succeeding generations from the scourge of war.’
We invite you to join a very special webinar on Wednesday June 24 to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the UN Charter, and to discuss concrete and effective ways to achieve UN objectives to prevent war and advance disarmament for public health and sustainable development.
The webinar will also commemorate 20 years of action on UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, peace and security, and highlight the the inspiring roles of women in peace and disarmament.
- Hon Izumi Nakamitsu (United Nations), UN Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for Disarmament Affairs;
- Hon Fabrizio Hochschild-Drummond (United Nations), Adviser to the Secretary-General on the Commemoration of the United Nations 75th Anniversary;
- Hon Maria Espinosa (Ecuador), Member World Future Council and President of the 73rd UN General Assembly;
- Senator Gabriela Cuevas Barron (Mexico), President, Inter-Parliamentary Union;
- Baroness Sue Miller (UK), PNND Co-President and Vice-Chair, UK All Party Parliamentary Group on Global Security and Non-proliferation;
- Ms Divina Maloum (Cameroon), Founder of Children for Peace. Co-winner of the 2019 International Children’s Peace Prize;
- Ms Elizabeth Warner (USA), Managing Director, Ploughshares Fund. Leader, Women in Peace and Security Initiative;
- Rep Carol Ammons (USA), Member Illinois State Assembly. Member, Women Legislators’ Lobby;
- Hon Ann-Sofie Nilsson (Sweden), Sweden Ambassador for Disarmament and Nonproliferation.
The event is being co-chaired by Ms Kehkashan Basu (UAE/Canada), Youth Ambassador for the World Future Council. Winner of the 2016 International Children’s Peace Prize, and features a special guest performance by Holly Near (USA), acclaimed singer, song-writer, actor and founder of Redwood Records.
Zoom webinar | Wednesday, June 24, 2020 | 11:00 – 13:15 EDT (17:00-18:15 CET)
Click here to register for the event.
Presenters for the June 24 webinar from top left: Hon Izumi Nakamitsu, Hon Fabrizio Hochschild-Drummond, Hon Maria Espinosa, Senator Gabriela Cuevas Barron, Baroness Sue Miller, Ms Divina Maloum, Ms Elizabeth Warner, Rep Carol Ammons, Hon Ann-Sofie Nilsson and Ms Holly Near.