POSTPONED TO 2021 DUE TO
CONTINUING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
CYPRUS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
POSTPONED TO 2021 DUE TO
CONTINUING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Dear Friends and Supporters of the
Cyprus International Conference Against Imperialism,
Please accept our apologies for the delay in concluding our consultations for the plans we had for September 2020 in Cyprus. We regret to inform you that the continuing COVID-19 pandemic has forced us to, once again, postpone the Cyprus International Conference Against Imperialism.
When we proposed the postponement of the conference to September 11-13, 2020, we were of the opinion that it was necessary and potentially possible. However, as you all know, the situation with the COVID-19 Pandemic has become even more complicated in the recent months and weeks, making it even more difficult to hold our conference in September as proposed. As a result, we have to once again postpone the Cyprus Conference to an earliest possible date in 2021.
This decision has been made in view of numerous factors:
- We are witnessing a “second wave” of the pandemic in many regions and countries of the world, including some European countries, but especially in the USA, Latin America (with few exceptions), the Indian sub-continent, as well as the Middle East.
- Our host country, Cyprus, which has opened its borders for tourists from dozens of countries, has been witnessing an increased level of imported COVID-19 cases. The airlines and respective institutions of aviation in that country have “banned” certain countries with growing number of infections from entering.
- The biggest “technical” problem for holding the Conference in September, apart from the general uncertainty for participation, are the following:
- It is not certain that by September the citizens of such countries as Brazil, US, Mexico, Cuba, India, Nepal, UK, Palestine, and others, would be allowed to travel to the EU and Cyprus.
- Also, participants from other countries may have to travel with various stops in other countries, which makes it difficult to predict what local restrictions they will face.
- Due to the uncertainty of the future course of the pandemic as we approach the month of September, we may face even bigger difficulties which we cannot predict at this time.
After several rounds of consultations between representatives of the World Peace Council, Coalition Against U.S. Foreign Military Bases, and the Cyprus Peace Council, we came to the following difficult but necessary conclusion:
- To postpone our September plans for the Conference, tentatively to early 2021.
- To offer, once again, to all who have paid for Conference Registration and Hotel Reservation, the option to refund their payment, if they so choose, with the additional option of keeping their registrations and reservations for the future date. (Please let us know via email (?link_id=0&can_id=9b9e8a7e2eb39d048373e3b6f89962ca&source=email-cyprus-international-conference-postponed-due-to-continuing-covid-19-pandemic&email_referrer=email_881102&email_subject=cyprus-international-conference-postponed-due-to-continuing-covid-19-pandemic">) whether you prefer to keep your registration and hotel reservation for the future date, or would like to request a refund.
- To explore the possibilities for organizing several thematic regional or international webinars on related topics in order to keep the momentum.
We will be keeping you posted about new developments regarding possible future dates for holding the Conference.
Iraklis Tsavdaridis Bahman Azad Stelios Socofli
Executive Secretary Coordinator President
World Peace Council No Bases Coalition Cyprus Peace Council
For more information please contact:
“Confronting Imperialism’s War Machine — The Global Struggle for Peace, Social Justice, National Sovereignty and the Environment,” on March 28-29, 2020, in Larnaca, Cyprus. The Conference is hosted by Cyprus Peace Council. https://antiimperialistconferencecyprus.org/
POSTPONED TO SEPTEMBER 11-13, 2020
March 12, 2020
Dear Comrades and Friends,
Due to the increasing health threat posed by the spread of the virus COVID-19 (“coronavirus”), we have been forced to make the difficult decision of postponing the Cyprus International Conference Against Imperialism, scheduled for March 27-29, 2020 in Larnaca, Cyprus.
This was not an easy decision for the organizers of the conference. We did not want to postpone the conference prematurely due to the travel and financial problems it could cause for our speakers and participants, who had already made their reservations for lodging and booked their airline tickets. The number confirmed international participants had reached more than 100 from around 50 countries.
However, because of recent identification of some cases of coronavirus infection in Cyprus and its complications, and increasing travel restrictions imposed on the public by various governments, we decided that holding the conference at the scheduled time would be too risky for our conference participants and the host country. (The government of the Cyprus Republic announced on 10th March the prohibition of all events with more than 75 attendants.)
As a result, we have decided to postpone the Conference for six months, to September 11-13, 2020, again in Larnaca Cyprus, with the same arrangements (registration, venue, accommodation, etc.). We apologize for the inconvenience this could cause, but as you are well aware, this was decision that had to be made.
A few points about Conference postponement:
- Registered participants will have the option of keeping their conference registrations and lodging reservations for the new date, or can ask for cancellation and refund. We will be happy to accommodate their wishes.
- Please inform us about your wish. Otherwise, we will assume that you wish to keep your registration and accommodation for the new date. Please reply to this email and inform us about your decision.
- As to airline tickets, setting a new date for the conference allows our participants to rebook their flights with a minimal fee as opposed to losing their tickets completely. Many airlines have also announced that they are waiving their rebooking fees due to the virus pandemic.
- When rebooking your tickets, try to arrive in Larnaca on Friday September 11 before 3:00 PM (15:00), as part of the program will start at 5:00 PM (17:00).
- The Conference web site will be updated for the new date and will remain open for Conference Registration and Accommodation for September 11-13, 2020.
We hope that this postponement does not keep you from participating in the conference in September and making it successful.
Thank you for your support of the conference.
Executive Secretary, World Peace Council
Coordinator, Coalition Against U.S. Foreign Military Bases
Chair, Cyprus Peace Council
For more information and to register